Let’s take a look at the pastry of mooncake pastry. The pastry is composed of water and oil crust and shortcrust. The method of water and oil crust is as follows: Pour all-purpose flour (that is, ordinary flour for home-made pasta), lard, and sugar into a bowl, and heat the water to about 85°C (Or take the freshly boiled water, pour it into a cup and shake it dozens of times), pour it all into the flour; quickly stir the flour with chopsticks to make the flour and water form snowflake-like lumps;
Pour the flour lump on the chopping board, turn it a few times with your hands to dissipate the heat, and then knead it into a smooth dough; the kneaded dough is shown in the picture
2. Then make shortbread. Mix all-purpose flour and lard, and knead vigorously on the chopping board for a few minutes until the lard and flour are completely combined into a dough. The dough may be very dry and loose when you first knead it. Continue to knead for a few minutes and it will become a smooth dough. You must not add any moisture to the pastry dough
3. Divide the water, oily skin and pastry dough into 10 portions and knead them into a round shape. During the production process, it is recommended to cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent the surface from drying out. The pastry dough can be placed directly in the open; take a water and oil skin dough, flatten it with the palm of your hand, put a pastry dough in the center of the water and oil skin dough, and wrap it up. Squeeze
4. Place the dough on the chopping board with the closed end facing up, the smooth side down, and flatten it with the palm of your hand; use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into an oval shape, and roll the oval shape from top to bottom.
5. Once the rolled dough is flattened with the palm of your hand, roll it out with a rolling pin a second time (again, with the smooth side facing down)
6. Roll it up from top to bottom for the second time. After rolling into the roll as shown in the picture, the meringue is completed. Let the rolled meringue dough stand for about 15 minutes (cover the surface with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent drying )
7. Next, let’s take a look at how to make the scallion filling. Prepare all the ingredients. After removing the fascia of pork suet, weigh 120 grams and cut into very fine pellets. Wash the chives and shake off the water, remove the roots and dead leaves, take 70 grams of clean chives, and chop them. Put the flour in a pan and fry it over a low heat until it is slightly yellow. After cooling, weigh 70 grams. If the white sesame seeds are raw, they also need to be sautéed over low heat and cooled for later use
8. Put the white sesame seeds into the garlic pounding jar and mash them into sesame crumbs. (You can also put a dozen in a food processor, but be careful not to overdo it); Put diced pork suet in a bowl, pour in rice wine, sesame crumbs, salt, sugar, and pepper powder, stir well, and then pour in fragrant. Chopped green onions and cooked flour and mix well
9. After fully mixing, it is the scallion filling. Divide the scallion filling into 10 portions and knead it into a ball shape; the puff pastry and filling are ready, and you can start wrapping. Take a set of meringue dough, flatten it on the chopping board, and roll it out with a rolling pin to become a round dough with a thick middle and thin sides
10. Put a scallion oil filling on the round dough (the smooth side of the round dough faces out, so that the smooth side becomes the outer skin of the mooncake after wrapping); wrap it and pinch the mouth tightly. Pay attention when wrapping, move gently, close the mouth slowly, don't use too much force, so as not to break the puff pastry. No oil or fillings should be stained at the closing, otherwise the closing is not tight and the fillings will be exposed. Put the wrapped dough on the cutting board with the mouth down and let stand for 15 minutes
11. After setting it aside, gently press the dough with the palm of your hand to make the dough flat. When pressing, pay attention to the action to be gentle, if you press it down quickly, the puff pastry is easy to break. The dough should be flattened as much as possible, and the thickness should be below 1.3cm. After pressing, use a toothpick to prick the dough a few times to penetrate the dough (the toothpick hole is good for the heat generated during baking to radiate, so as to prevent the cake from bulging too much)
12. Place the flattened dough on a baking tray, and stamp the surface with red food coloring (the traditional stamp is a square stamp with the word "scallion oil" engraved on it. Friends who don’t have a stamp can stamp on the surface according to their own creativity The featured patterns, for example, the pattern I printed is printed on the end of a rolling pin and a circular cutting die dipped in pigment). Put the baking tray into the preheated oven at 200℃, the middle and upper layer, first bake for about 8 minutes, take out the flip, and bake for about 12 minutes, bake until the surface is golden and the puff pastry is fully swollen, and you can go out of the oven.
1. Traditional meringues are usually made with lard, because lard has a good crispness and the best meringues are made. If you don’t have lard, you can buy lard suet at the vegetable market and cook it yourself. If vegetable oil or butter is used instead of lard, the shortening effect and fragrance of the finished product will be greatly reduced;
2. The lard oil used in the scallion oil filling is the raw material for making lard. There is a layer of reticular fascia on the pig suet, which must be torn off before use, otherwise it will affect the taste. If you don’t have lard at home, you can buy more lard suet, some for boiled lard, and some for stuffing. Without pork suet, you can use pure pork fat instead;
3. The weight of the various raw materials of the filling is the weight after processing, for example, pork suet should be weighed after removing the fascia, chives should be cleaned up and then weighed, sesame and flour should be weighed after being fried;
4. The pastry of this moon cake is different from the previous fresh meat moon cakes in the blog. The difference between Chinese pastry such as wife cake is that it uses 85 ℃ hot water to mix the flour, the flour is partially matured, and the dough is softer and easier to handle. You can omit the relaxation process when making meringues. However, in order to avoid the cracking of the puff pastry during the filling and final forming and flattening, two 15-minute rest and relaxation were carried out;
5. When filling stuffing, closing is the most important link. If you are not careful, it is easy to expose the stuffing. Don't get oil and fillings on the closing area, and be gentle when closing the opening, and don't cause the puff pastry to crack with too fast or too hard;
6. When baking mooncakes, bake for 8 minutes and turn over. It is easy to bake flat drum-shaped mooncakes. It’s okay if you don’t turn it over, but the mooncakes that are baked are flat on one side and a semicircle shape. The fresh meat mooncakes in the previous blog were baked without turning over. You can compare and refer to it.